Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number!
VIDEO of Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number-1966 – Bob Hope Elke Sommer
|Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number!|
Theatrical release poster.
|Directed by||George Marshall|
|Produced by||Edward Small|
|Written by||George Kennett
Albert E. Lewin
|Music by||William “By” Dunham
|Edited by||Grant Whytock|
Edward Small Productions
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Box office||$4.3 million (est. US/ Canada rentals)|
Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! is a 1966 DeLuxe Color American comedy film starring Bob Hope and Elke Sommer. This film marked the first of three film collaborations for Hope and comedian Phyllis Diller, Eight on the Lam in 1967 and The Private Navy of Sgt. O’Farrell in 1968.
A gorgeous French actress named Didi (Elke Sommer) has become more famous for commercials involving bubble baths than for acting. Fed up with the situation, she winds up running away for a while to Oregon, where she encounters a middle-aged married realtor (Bob Hope) who quickly becomes extremely anxious to explore their acquaintance further.
- Bob Hope as Tom Meade
- Elke Sommer as Didi
- Phyllis Diller as Lily
- Cesare Danova as Pepe Pepponi
- Marjorie Lord as Mrs. Martha Meade
- Kelly Thordsen as Detective Shawn Regan
- Benny Baker as Detective Lt. Schwartz
- Terry Burnham as Doris Meade
- Joyce Jameson as Telephone operator
- Harry von Zell as Newscaster / Off-Screen Narrator
- Kevin Burchett as Larry Meade
- Keith Taylor as Plympton
With Bob Hope’s film career on the downswing by the ’60s, Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! was critically panned and compared to a “90-minute TV sitcom”. The critic for the New York Times drew parallels with Up in Mabel’s Roomwhich Edward Small had made twenty years previously. Reviews were poor. However it performed well at the box office. Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! was listed in the 1978 book The Fifty Worst Films of All Time.
- “Big Rental Pictures of 1966”, Variety, January 4, 1967 p 8
- Star of ‘Luv’ Called Genius Hopper, Hedda. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 02 Aug 1965: d17.
- MOVIE CALL SHEET: Train Wreck Derails Film Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 11 Aug 1965: d12.
- ‘Wrong Number’ Starts Diller in Films Clifford, Terry. Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file) [Chicago, Ill] 01 May 1966: g15.
- Bob Hope: More Than A Gagster?: Bob Hope: More Than A Gagster? By JEFFREY COUCHMAN. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 06 May 1979: 85.
- Bob Hope and ‘A Wrong Number’ New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 09 June 1966: 52
- lke Sommer, Gags Bubble in Hope’s ‘Wrong Number’ Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 15 June 1966: d14.
- Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! at the Internet Movie Database
- Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! at AllMovie
- Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! at the TCM Movie Database
- Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! at the American Film Institute Catalog
|This film article about a 1960s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|